The Beautification Commission represents citizens' values in City beautification matters and coordinates projects to encourage and achieve beautification. The Commission sponsors the Alexandria Beautification Commission Awards each year.
What is Beautification?
Improvements to a community encompassing landscaping, architecture, and sustainable environmental practices creating a healthier community and higher quality of life.
The Alexandria Beautification Commission promotes beautification of the City through advocacy, education and the celebration of community beautification efforts.
Meeting Information & Schedule
The Commission meets on the second Thursday of each month, at 7:30 pm., Durant Center, 1605 Cameron St. For additional information, call Oscar Mendoza, Division Chief, at 703.746.4667. For a list of vacancies, to submit an application or for additional information, visit Boards & Commissions.
For a list of Commission members, click here.
2018 Meeting Schedule
- January 11
- February 8
- March 8
- April 12
- May 10
- June 14
- July 12
- August 9
- September 13
- October 11
- November 8
- December 13
- Makes recommendations to City Council and City Departments concerning landscape aesthetic improvements to the City's right-of-ways and City Properties
- Coordinates with City staff and community groups to organize clean-ups and invasive plant removal from public spaces
- Coordinates with City staff to transform vacant lots in the City into usable community spaces
- Sponsors a series of programs to education residents of Alexandria on matters of beautification
- Sponsors the Alexandria Beautification Awards to recognize residences, businesses, institutions, and public properties that beautify their surroundings through landscaping, architecture, maintenance, and litter clean-up
- Supports activities and policies to increase the City's Tree
Contact UsIf you would like to contact us about beautification issues and opportunities, please send your correspondence to:
The Alexandria Beautification Commission
2900-A Business Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22314
Alexandria Beautification Awards
The Commission sponsors the annual Alexandria Beautification Awards each fall. These awards recognize residents, businesses, and community efforts to contribute to the beautification of their neighborhoods and public vistas. Each year the Commission canvases the City in search of properties that have improved their surroundings through landscape, architecture, maintenance, and other efforts. The Commission also actively solicits award nominations from the public. Submit your 2018 Beautification Award Nomination now. Nominations must be received by Friday, June 1.
Awards are given in six categories:
- Excellence in Architecture
- Excellence in Suitable Design
- Green Practices
- Community Beautification
- Residential Beautification
- Commercial Beautification
For additional information, view the Beautification Awards Criteria applicable to all nominations.
Commission members make the final decision on Award recipients. Awards are presented by the Mayor and City Council. To view previous Beautification Award Winners click on the following:
- 2018 Beautification Award Winners
- 2017 Beautification Award Winners
- 2016 Beautification Award Winners
- 2015 Beautification Award Winners
- 2014 Beautification Award Winners
- 2013 Beautification Award Winners
- 2012 Beautification Award Winners
- 2011 Beautification Award Winners
- 2010 Beautification Award Winners
- 2009 Beautification Award Winners
- 2008 Beautification Award Winners