Recycling on the Go
Public Space Recycling
Recycling containers are located in popular pedestrian areas such as lower King Street and Mount Vernon Ave. as well as City parks.
Acceptable Materials: Plastic Bottles, Aluminum Cans, and Mixed Paper.
Unacceptable Materials: Glass (recycle using glass purple bin or dispose of it in the trash), Pet Waste, Styrofoam, Plastic Bag/Film/Wrap, Bulky Waste, Food Containers (e.g. to-go containers, cups, or trays), or Other Trash.
*Please recycle bulky recyclables such as cardboard or large plastic jugs at a City Recycling Drop-Off Center.
The City is in the process of covering the "glass" label from the City's public space recycling containers. For more information on glass recycling, please visit our glass recycling page. Thank you for your patience.
"Greening" Your Special Event
Block parties, cookouts, birthday celebrations, and civic association events are all ideal opportunities to help the environment by reducing the amount of waste that is generated and capture recyclable materials. The City of Alexandria Recycling Program wants to help you help the environment!
Recycling at Your Event
Recycling is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to reduce the amount of trash at your event. Recycling can be set up in four easy steps.
- Decide to have recycling at your event and establish a coordinator, especially for larger events.
- Plan and set-up a collection system.
- What kind of trash and recycling containers will you use?
- How many trash and recycling containers will you use? The rule of thumb is one recycling container for every trash can.
- Where will the trash and recycling containers be located? Keep the trash and recycling containers next to one another in highly visible and easily accessible locations.
- Who will be responsible for emptying the trash and recycling containers?
- Who will dispose of the trash and recycling at the end of the event? Hauler, individual, etc. For small events, the City’s recycling drop-off locations are available.
- Promote and provide basic recycling education.
- Announce at the beginning and throughout the event that recycling is available.
- Provide signs that state what is recyclable.
- Ensure that the trash and recycling containers are appropriately labeled.
- Monitor the trash and recycling containers for any contamination (i.e. trash in the recycling container and vice versa). Have volunteers remind event goers about what is and is not recyclable and where recyclables go, especially for large events.
Need Recycling Containers for your Special Event?
The City of Alexandria Recycling Program has 47 ClearStream recycling containers that can be loaned out for events in the City of Alexandria. Please review the documents below for more information and requirements.
- ClearStream Event Planning
- ClearStream Recycling Directions
- ClearStream Recycling Container City Loan Agreement
For more information about obtaining the ClearStream recycling containers please call or email the Recycling Coordinator, 703-746-4410.