Where Do Recyclables Go?
Page updated on January 26, 2022 at 12:32 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
Residential Recycling Materials
- Once the recyclables are collected from your blue cart, they are delivered to a Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) located in Manassas, VA operated by Republic Services.
- At the MRF, the recyclables are separated by type: plastics, metal, paper and cardboard.
- Each type of material is consolidated into bales. These bales are loaded onto a truck, and sent to manufacturing plants where the recyclables are used to make new products.
- Glass bottles and jars collected from purple glass drop-off containers are delivered to an aggregation facility located in Lorton, VA in Fairfax County.
- From Fairfax County, the glass is recovered in multiple ways. Some glass bottles and jars are loaded onto a truck and hauled to a secondary Glass Processing Center to be recycled back into new glass bottles. Glass is also crushed into sand and gravel to be used for local public works projects.
Visit the Glass Recycling in Alexandria web page to learn more.