Old Hallowell Hospital
History of the Old Hallowell Hospital
200 Block N. Washington Street, West Side
The Hallowells were a Quaker family noted for their educational endeavors. The building was a school from 1832 to 1860 and earlier the site of a sugar house and tobacco warehouse. It reverted to Blackburn’s Academy after the war. The first hospital on this site was established by the Surgeon General in Alexandria in July 1861. It eventually was expanded to five structures. The main hospital on North Washington Street connected by a long narrow walkway to a building on N. Columbus Street. Two wooden barracks ran parallel to Cameron Street. A Dead house was located on N. Columbus Street.
- Hallowell Hospital utilized during Civil War. Out of the Attic, April 13, 2017.
- Title: Old Hallowell Hospital
- Date: Civil War era
- Rights Advisory: Alexandria Library, Special Collections, William Smith Collection
The Quartermaster map shows the buildings that comprised the Old Hallowell Hospital.
Location and the Site Today
Old Hallowell Hospital was located on the 200 block of N. Washington Street, west side.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map. See location of hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure