November to March:
Wednesday to Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1 - 4 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday: Closed
Last tour: At 3:45 p.m.
Closed: New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
April to October:
Tuesday to Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday and Monday: 1 - 5 p.m.
Last tour: At 4:45 p.m.
The Apothecary Museum
The museum boasts a vast collection of herbal botanicals, handblown glass, and medical equipment. It also has a spectacular collection of archival materials, including journals, letters and diaries, prescription and formula books, ledgers, orders and invoices. The names of famous customers appear in these documents, including Martha Washington, Nelly Custis and Robert E. Lee.
Since 2006 when the buildings were donated to the City of Alexandria, the Museum continues to evolve as new research is uncovered and as the staff expands its understanding of the medical and business history captured by this unique historic site.
See the first floor historic retail space of the Apothecary Museum on the VisitAlexandria 360 virtual tour.
- The Museum will have the following adjusted times:
- November 9 - The museum will be closed from 12:30 - 2:00pm. The cancelled tours are as follows: 12:45, 1:15, 1:45.
- November 15 - The museum will open at 1:00pm due to school tours.
- November 17 - The museum will open at 12:00pm due to school tours.
December 7 - The museum will open at 1:00pm due to school tours.
- Volunteer docents are needed for weekday and weekend tours and school groups. Training is flexible and minimum commitment is one tour shift (2-4 hours) per month. Start the process by submitting an application!
- Visit the Historic Alexandria Calendar for a full list of events.
eHistory at your Fingertips
- Become a fan on Facebook
Be the first to hear about the news of the day at the Museum with pictures, events, and more!
- Sign up for This Week in Historic Alexandria
To receive information about Historic Alexandria programs, special events, and more, update your subscription or subscribe to Alexandria eNews.
- See what other visitors are saying about the Apothecary Museum on TripAdvisor.
To purchase tickets to Apothecary Museum events, and to shop online, visit The Alexandria Shop.
Other Important Links
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
105-107 South Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314