The museum boasts a vast collection of herbal botanicals, handblown glass, and medical equipment. It also has a spectacular collection of archival materials, including journals, letters and diaries, prescription and formula books, ledgers, orders and invoices. The names of famous customers appear in these documents, including Martha Washington, Nelly Custis and Robert E. Lee.
Since 2006 when the buildings were donated to the City of Alexandria, the Museum continues to evolve as new research is uncovered and as the staff expands its understanding of the medical and business history captured by this unique historic site.
- Celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday weekend and the
release of the newest addition to Harry Potter’s wizarding world—The Cursed
Child-with the following events July 30 and 31. Download the flyer for
- Magical Scavenger Hunt of Old Town, July 30 and 31. Download your scavenger hunt today!
- Saturday, July 30, 7-10pm, Adult Tours: The Real Science Behind Harry Potter
- Sunday, July 31, 1:30-6pm, Family Friendly Tours: The Real Science Behind Harry Potter
- New tour Apothecary and the Civil War offered Sundays at 12:30 p.m. through Labor Day weekend. Tickets are limited, so buy online to guarantee a space!
- Visit the Historic Alexandria Calendar for a full list of events.
eHistory at your Fingertips
- Become a fan on Facebook
Be the first to hear about the news of the day at the Museum with pictures, events, and more!
- Sign up for This Week in Historic Alexandria
To receive information about Historic Alexandria programs, special events, and more, update your subscription or subscribe to Alexandria eNews.
- See what other visitors are saying about the Apothecary Museum on TripAdvisor.
Other Important Links
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
105-107 South Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
November to March:
Wednesday to Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1 - 4 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday: Closed
Last tour: At 3:45 p.m.
Closed: New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
April to October:
Tuesday to Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday and Monday: 1 - 5 p.m.
Last tour: At 4:45 p.m.