Second Presbyterian Church Hospital
History of the Second Presbyterian Church Hospital
NW Corner Prince and S. St. Asaph Streets
The church was built in the Greek Revival style in 1840. During the war it was used as a hospital for the Provost Guard, forerunners to the U.S. Military Police.
A new facade was added in the 1880s, and in recent years the building has been used as retail and office space.
- Title: Gen. Slough's headquarters, St. Asaph Street, Alexandria, Va. Post office and veteran's reserve headquarters in middle distance
- Photographer: Andrew Russell
- Image Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
- Image Date: between 1861 and 1865
- Medium: Albumen print
- Library of Congress Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-07317 (digital file from original photograph) LC-USZ62-11749 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Library of Congress Call Number: LOT 4336, no. 58 [P&P]
- Library of Congress Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
The hospital is included on Quartermaster Map 12.
Location and the Site Today
The Hospital was located on the NW Corner Prince and S. St. Asaph Streets. Today, the old church building is used for offices.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map. See location of hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure