Fowle (Powell) Hospital
History of Fowle Hospital
811 Prince Street
The Fowle Hospital (sometimes misspelled as Powell in contemporary documents) was located in a three-story masonry home at 811 Prince Street. The house was built in 1854, and purchased by a prominent Alexandria merchant, William J. Fowle in 1855. Fowle went with his family to Richmond as the conflict began, and his son, William H Fowle, III, enlisted in the Confederate army. He sued for the return of his home, but died before what was ultimately a successful court decision. This hospital was considered part of the Prince Street Hospital on the opposite side of the street. From March, 1862, to Sept. 20, 1862, this hospital was a branch of the General Hospital (Mansion House). It then became a branch of the 2nd Division General Hospital (Alexandria) until it closed. (Source: Civil War DC website, from National Archives data.)
These two hospitals were referred to in a Civil War era article in the Alexandria Gazette: "These mansions are known as the Johnston and Powell Houses, Mr. Powell (Wm. J. Fowle) was formerly a merchant and like Mr. Johnston, went to Richmond."
- “The U.S. Hospitals in Alexandria,” Alexandria Gazette, May 20, 1864, p. 2, reproduced in Alexandria Chronicle, Summer 1995, p. 24.
- Title: 811 Prince Street
- Image Source: Historic Alexandria, Virginia, Street by Street: A Survey of Existing Historic Buildings, Evelyn Cox. (Historic Alexandria Foundation, 1976.)
- Image Date: ca. 1976
- Medium: Photograph
No quartermaster map available.
Location and the Site Today
The hospital is located 811 Prince Street.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map. See location of hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure