History of Kalorama Hospital
1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side (Douglass Memorial Cemetery)
A building footprint was recorded September 1865 by William Merrick on his map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station, and described as a small hospital south of Hooff’s Run. This was possibly a wooden building to quarantine sick employees of the Quartermaster or Railroad.
The hospital was among a cluster of military buildings, and was located on the north side of the 1400 block of Wilkes Street, just west of the stockade. This location, across Wilkes Street from the current Hamilton Street, is now a part of the Douglass Memorial Cemetery. Another hospital also known as Kalorama Hospital operated in Washington, D.C., at 23rd and S Streets, NW.
- Title: Map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station at Alexandria, Va.
- Creator: Wm. M. Merrick
- Image Source: National Archives and Records Administration
- Image Date: 1865
- Medium: Colored Lithograph
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication
No Quartermaster Map available.
Location and the Site Today
The hospital was located on the 1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side. A section of the Douglass Memorial Cemetery now occupies this site, in the Wilkes Street Cemetery complex.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map. See location of hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure