Mansion House Hospital
History of the Mansion House Hospital
121 N. Fairfax Street
Mansion House Hotel, operated by James Green, was considered one of the premier establishments on the East Coast (also known as Green’s Hotel). In early November 1861, Green received a letter that stated he had three days to vacate the premises. Opened December 1, 1861, as a General Hospital, Mansion House Hospital was subsequently used as the First Division General Hospital, beginning Sept. 20, 1862. It was the largest of the confiscated buildings used as a military hospital in Alexandria, with 500 beds.
Built directly in front of (and obscuring the view of) the 18th century John Carlyle House, Mansion House Hotel (sometimes known as the Braddock House hotel) was vacant and deteriorating when a large portion of it was torn down in the 1970s to restore the house and establish Carlyle House Historic Park. The historic Bank of Alexandria on the corner of Cameron Street, once a part of the hotel and hospital, was also preserved.
- "Nurses, Spies, and Soldiers: The Civil War at Carlyle House," Sarah Coster. Carlyle House Docent Dispatch, March 2011.
- An occupied city and the misfortunes of war. Out of the Attic, February 18, 2016.
- How a bank building became a hotel and Civil War hospital. Out of the Attic, September 12, 2013.
- An obstruction for some, a gem for others. Out of the Attic, November 23, 2010.
First Person Accounts
First Person Accounts from the Union Hospitals
- Mary Phinney von Olnhausen, Nurse
- Judson, Patient/Soldier
- J.B. Porter, Surgeon
- Fragment of letter from a patient, found during restoration of the Carlyle House
- Official card for patient S.D. Newcomb, found during restoration of the Carlyle House
- Title: Mansion House Hospital, Alexandria, Va.
- Photographer: Andrew J. Russell
- Image Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
- Image Date: photographed between 1861 and 1865, printed between 1880 and 1889
- Medium: 1 photographic print on card mount : albumen.
- Library of Congress Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-33628 (digital file from original item) LC-B8184-1290 (b&w film copy neg.) LC-B8184-10070 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Library of Congress Call Number: LOT 4180, no. 31 [P&P]
- Library of Congress Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
The Mansion House Hospital is shown in the lower left corner of the Quartermaster's map
Location and the Site Today
Mansion House Hospital was located at 121 Fairfax Street. Today, the Carlyle House Historic Park is open to the public, and owned and operated by the Northern Virginia Park Authority. The Bank of Alexandria building on the corner of Cameron Street was also part of the hospital complex. The larger Mansion House hotel buildings were torn down.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospital Map. See location of hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure