Prince Street Hospital
History of the Prince Street Hospital
806 Prince Street
This was originally a private residence, built in the 1850s by Rev. James T. Johnston who was the rector of St. Paul’s Church. Johnson, like many other Alexandrians, moved to Richmond during the war. From March, 1862, to Sept. 20, 1862, this hospital was a branch of the General Hospital (Mansion House). It then became a branch of the 2nd Division General Hospital (Alexandria), together with the Fowle house on the opposite sides of Prince St. (Source: Civil War DC Website from National Archives data.)
An article in the Alexandria Gazette, May 20, 1864 (reprinted in The Alexandria Chronicle), described the Prince Street Hospital and a nearby garden used by the soldiers.
The house is commodious, and, for a confiscated dwelling, is very fine.... Almost opposite this Prince-street Hospital lies a mansion and garden, which, if we understood our informant right, belongs to a relative of the late owner of the Johnston House. The garden is a beautiful and spacious garden, affording a delightful place of repose to those who have tasted the dangers and distress of the battlefields and have experienced all the unutterable pangs that even under the most favorable circumstances beset hospital life.
“The U.S. Hospitals in Alexandria.” Alexandria Chronicle, The Alexandria Historical Society, Spring 1995, pp. 23-24.
In 1884, the building became the hall of the Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans, and it is now the Robert E. Lee Camp Hall Museum.
- R.E. Lee Camp Hall. Out of the Attic, January 14, 2010.
- Title: Prince Street, West of Columbus, Capacity 95
- Image Source: The Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes. Francis Trevelyan Miller, Editor in Chief, Volume Seven, Prisons and Hospitals. New York, The Review of Reviews Co., 1911. P. 235.
- Image Date: 1861-1865.
- Medium: Photograph
- Rights Advisory: Out of Copyright
- Title: Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans, 1896
- Image Source: Alexandria Library/Special Collections. William H. Smith Collection, #615
- Image Date: 1896
- Medium: Photograph
- Rights Advisory: Courtesy, Alexandria Library. Not to be reproduced without permission.
No Quartermaster map available
Location and the Site Today
The hospital, at 806 Prince Street, is now the Robert E. Lee Camp Hall Museum, operated by the Mary Custis Lee – 17th Virginia Regiment Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map. See location of hospital in relation to others.
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure