Washington Hall General Hospital
History of Washington Hall General Hospital
622-626 King Street
Washington Hall. a brick meeting hall built in 1854, was destroyed by fire in the early to mid 1900s. In the Civil War, Washington Hall General Hospital was a branch of the Second Division General Hospital.
First Person Accounts
A description of Washington Hall from the Alexandria Gazette, January 5, 1855, p. 3:
This fine new hall on King Street near the corner of Washington has been leased by a company of gentlemen and beautifully fitted up for theatrical purposes, concerts, etc. It is to be opened tonight with a concert by the Swiss Bell Ringers. The hall is a large one, capable of seating, in comfort, over six hundred persons, and the seats are arranged so as to give all an opportunity of seeing without difficulty.
There are no known historic images.
The Quartermaster Map shows the hospital with offices and a sink (privy).
Location and the Site Today
Washington Hall was located at 622-626 King Street. A 20th century building on the site houses offices and retail shops.
- Google Maps. See the location today
- Civil War Hospitals Map See location of the hospital in relation to others
- Union Hospitals in Alexandria. Return to main page
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Interactive Story Map
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals. Walking Tour Brochure