Educational Resources at the Alexandria History Museum
Educational Programs for Students, Children and Families
Many programs require advance registration and some are scheduled only a few times a year, so be sure to check the Calendar of Events and contact the Education Coordinator to make your reservation today.
School Programs: Schedule a Visit
To schedule a visit, call the Education Coordinator at 703.746.4994. Please note the following when scheduling a school program:
- Reservations are required
- Cost: $3 per student payment due upon arrival with a minimum charge of $40.
- Alexandria City Public Schools admitted free of charge!
- Up to five adults admitted free; additional adults $3 each
- Accessibility: Please notify us of any special needs so we can best accommodate all of your students. The museum will work closely with visiting teachers to make programs as accessible as possible to all visiting students and can create the best, most inclusive experience if notified in advance.
These programs are designed to enhance student learning and are adaptable to the Virginia and Maryland learning objectives. Your group can combine the Alexandria History Museum' programs with those offered by Alexandria's other museums and historic sites by scheduling a multi-site visit.
- Getting a Feel for Long Ago: Hands-on History - Grades K-3
- Inside Old Town: Outreach Kit - Grades 4-8
- Inside Old Town: Walking Tour - Grades 4-8
- Scavenger Hunt for History - Grades 4-8+
Home School Programs
Homeschool families and groups are welcome to schedule a school program or our outreach kit (minimum payments and reservation requirements still apply) or enjoy a self-guided visit to our museum during regular museum hours.
Boy and Girl Scout troops are welcome to reserve a school program (minimum payments and reservation requirements still apply) or enjoy a self-guided visit to our museum during regular museum hours.
There are volunteer opportunities for Cadette, Senior, and Ambassador Girl Scout volunteers to help with special events during the year.
Learn more about Scout Programs at the Alexandria History Museum.