Gadsby's Tavern Museum consists of two buildings, a ca. 1785 tavern and the 1792 City Hotel. The buildings are named for Englishman John Gadsby who operated them from 1796 to 1808. Mr. Gadsby's establishment was a center of political, business, and social life in early Alexandria. The tavern was the setting for dancing assemblies, theatrical and musical performances, and meetings of local organizations. George Washington enjoyed the hospitality provided by tavernkeepers and twice attended the annual Birthnight Ball held in his honor. Other prominent patrons included John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and the Marquis de Lafayette.
- The Museum will have adjusted hours due to private group tours the following days and times:
Friday, October 21: First tour at 1:15pm
Sunday, October 23: Tours will be available at 1:15, 4:15, and 4:45pm
- Visit the Historic Alexandria Calendar for a full list of events.
History at your Fingertips
- Receive Tavern-E Times eNews. To receive information about Gadsby’s Tavern Museum programs, special events, and more, update your subscription or subscribe to Alexandria eNews.
- Like us on Facebook and be the first to hear about the news of the day!
- Follow Mr. Gadsby on Twitter!
- See the Museum in a new light through Instagram.
- Explore, learn, and share on the Museum's Pinterest boards.
- See what other visitors are saying about Gadsby's Tavern Museum on TripAdvisor.
Other Important Links
Gadsby's Tavern Museum
134 N. Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
November to March:
Wednesday to Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1 - 4 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday: Closed
Last tour: At 3:45 p.m.
Closed: New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
April to October:
Tuesday to Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday and Monday: 1 - 5 p.m.
Last tour: At 4:45 p.m.
During Museum hours, guided tours start at a quarter after the hour and a quarter before the hour and last approximately 30 minutes. Note that some tour times are not available due to special events at the museum. Please call in advance or check the homepage for more information.
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., by appointment only
American Alliance of Museums